Wednesday, June 6, 2012

This is it!

Gestational Sac @ 4w6/7d
On our first pre-natal consultation, my OB had to check my baby's implantation- since in several cases, endometriosis results in ectopic pregnancies.

While performing the transvaginal ultrasound, I was quite nervous and praying everything will turn out okay. I was alone in the examination room while my husband waited outside. Though I could sense his nervousness, I kept on praying, whispering to God how we waited and wanted this precious gift.

The moment OB caught a glimpse of the GS (gestational sac), she exclaimed: "There's your baby" pointing to the monitor. "Everything looks good! It's not ectopic."

I was very happy with what she said and let out a loud sigh of relief. Thank God, it's intrauterine! meaning it implanted on the wall of my uterus.

Based on the TVS, my baby is about 5 weeks old and a teeny-tiny one: about the size of a pumpkin seed!

After seeing the result of the TVS, I was advised to take folic acid once a day and because I have adenomyosis and endometriosis, my OB prescribed Duphaston and Duvadilan tablets both to be taken 3x a day.

Duphaston (left) is a brand of synthetic hormone (dydrogesterone) that is similar to the naturally occurring female steroid hormone progesterone. Progesterone plays an important role in regular menstruation, the development of a healthy uterine lining and maintaining pregnancy.

Duvadilan (below) on the other hand, is a brand of Isoxsuprine (used as isoxsuprine hydrochloride) used as a vasodilator which causes direct relaxation of uterine and vascular smooth muscle. It is used in humans for treatment of premature labour, i.e. a tocolytic

Here's the result of the ultrasound:

Within the gravid uterus is a well-formed gestational sac measuring 1.45cm., equivalent to 4 6/7 weeks age of gestation. No fetal pole is noted in the present study. No retrochorionic hemorrhage is seen.
The previous noted adenomyosis is still noted, 2.5 cm thick. No adnexal masses seen.

Impression: Early intrauterine pregnancy 4 6/7 weeks by gestational sac.
Follow -up scan suggested to determine fetal viability.

EDC: 9/14/2012

This marked the beginning of our 9-month journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment